Unicode 10 emoji proposals include the sauna
As developers continue to work to implement the 72 new emoji as published in the Unicode 9.0 standard, it seems that another update is in the works.
51 new emoji have been proposed as part of the Unicode 10.0 standard. The Unicode Consortium oversees pretty much everything involving the characters in communications and the strings behind them. If these proposals are fully implemented, the total number of emoji will jump to 1,747.
Here’s the full list.
- Flying saucer
- I Love You hand sign (ILY)
- Grinning face with star eyes
- Grinning face with crazy eyes
- Face with finger covering closed lips
- Serious face with symbols covering mouth
- Smiling face with smiling eyes and hand covering mouth
- Face with open mouth vomiting
- Shocked face with exploding head
- Palms up together (prayer)
- Curling stone
- Orange heart
- Bowl with spoon (breakfast, cereal, congee)
- Cup with straw (soda, juice)
- Cut of meat
- Canned food
- Giraffe face
- Zebra face
- Sauropod (Brontosaurus, Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus)
- Face with monocle
- Adult (unspecified gender)
- Child (unspecified gender)
- Older adult (unspecified gender)
- Bearded person
- Person with headscarf (hijab)
- Person in steamy room (sauna, steam room)
- Person climbing
- Person in lotus position (yoga, meditation)
- Mage (wizard, witch, sorcerer, sorceress)
- Merperson (mermaid, merman)
- Billed cap (baseball cap)
This list was reduced down from a shortlist of 110 proposals from various parties around the world, reports the Wall Street Journal, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland — hence, why you see the entry for “steam room” with naked figures, though with no private parts drawn out.
The Nordic nation is the first country to propose emoji for addition to the Unicode standard revisions.
Further reading: Everything You Need to Know About Finland — In Four Emojis from the Wall Street Journal