Whether you use a tablet, phablet, or phone, and regardless of what OS powers it or which brand is stamped on its backside, we all have one thing in common: our devices all have batteries that always need recharging.
Power bricks come in all shapes and sizes. Some may feature a quick-charging standard, others may be the run-of-the mill chargers that simply get the job done. Regardless, they all require a power outlet – and there never seems to be one of those around when we need it.
What we need is a compact, portable, charging station that we can take anywhere, uses power from the environment around us, and makes that energy usable so we have the power we need, when we need it.
Want to make one of your own? The nice thing is that you don’t have to use the parts I did, almost any solar panel with an output of at least 1 Amp, a charge controller with a USB port, and a portable battery will do. If you’d like to see what I used to make mine, here you go:
- Sunkingdom 6W 5V Portable Solar Battery Charger (6W/5.5V)
- ZENS Qi Wireless Charging Powerbank
- 3M Command Large Picture-Hanging Strips
Now that you’ve seen mine, what are you waiting for? I’m eager to see what kind of “ultimate charging solution” you come up with. Here are the rules:
- You’ve got to use some kind of renewable power (wind, solar, hydro, etc.)
- You’ve got to store the power you harvest in a battery of some sort
- You’ve got to be able to charge your tablet, phablet, or phone
- It’s got to be portable
Put your thinking cap on, grab some gear, put your solution together, then share your creation with us in the comments below!