Louisville, Kentucky, is home to the Slugger — a baseball bat that can smoke a pitch past that left field wall.
The Louisville International Airport, however, was the scene this morning where Southwest Flight 994 was grounded because a passenger’s Samsung Galaxy device started putting ot smoke. The Verge has confirmed from the device’s owner that it is a new Galaxy Note 7, not affected by global and national recalls.
The owner of the phone, Brian Green, told reporters that he was attempting to shut down the refurbished device before the plane moved out of its gate when it started overheating and emitting black smoke. Green tossed the device and flight attendants started moving panicked passengers off the plane and back into the airport.
— Holden Kurwicki (@WHAS11Holden) October 5, 2016
Louisville Metro Arson reports that damage to the aircraft was cosmetic — just some singed carpet. No one was injured. Southwest said in a statement that affected travelers will be rerouted to the flight’s original destination of Baltimore or to their intended final destination.
Initial reports have pointed the device to be a refurbished Galaxy S7. The Verge also talked with Green and he provided an image of the box from which his device came out of and it looks to be a Galaxy Note 7 that has a new battery.
Prior to The Verge‘s report, Samsung stated through a spokesperson that it is working with authorities and Southwest to deal with the issue and that there is no evidence linking this case to the Galaxy Note 7.
The phone went through a major recall last month over reports of explosive batteries. Replacement devices made through the company’s recall program have also been reported to overheat. Recent reports have described other Samsung smartphones, like the Galaxy S7, have also had their batteries explode.