We are reader supported. External links may earn us a commission.

General OS News

America is no longer the largest Samsung market

By Anton D. Nagy August 20, 2018, 12:00 am
Samsung market

Samsung posted sales of 83.9 trillion won ($74.6 billion) in 2018 so far.

Asia's top economy continued its rise to 32.7 percent in H1 2018.

Samsung Electronics Co.'s overall sales to the Americas, over the January-June period, were 26 percent of the total. That's 5.8 percent lower from the 31.8 percent posted for the entire past year. The company posted sales of 83.9 trillion won ($74.6 billion) for the first two quarters of 2018. Concurrently with the slower performance in the Americas, Asia's top economy continued its rise from 18.5 percent in 2013, 20.6 in 2014, 28.3 in 2017, all the way to 32.7 percent for the January-June period of this year.

POCKETNOW VIDEO OF THE DAY

Sales to China were 27.4 trillion won ($24.4 billion), making it the largest Samsung market. Analysts explain this by a sharp increase of demand for Samsung chips by Chinese tech giants, simultaneously with " the US government's protectionism policies " that slowed down Samsung's sales in the key North American market.

The report mentions Huawei as one of the top five clients for Samsung. This was not the case in 2017 when the list included Apple, Best Buy Co., Sprint Corp., Verizon and Deutsche Telekom. Five unnamed firms accounted for 11 percent of Samsung's sales in 2018 so far. Companies like Apple Inc., Verizon Wireless, Germany's Deutsche Telekom AG and Hong Kong's Techtronics are all major buyers for Samsung this year.

Industry experts say Samsung should be careful with its Chinese approach. On one hand, China is pushing its own semiconductor industry, which could hurt the South Korean company. On the other hand, Samsung " may become the victim of the irrational trade dispute between Washington and Beijing, which is ignoring the existing international system ".

Search

Latest Articles

iOS

Here's how the Apple iPod changed the world in 21 years

iPod was an industry-changing device at its time, and it had a massive impact on modern smartphones, and the way we listen to music. We take a last look at the now-discontinued Apple iPod and the history it leaves behind.

By Roland Udvarlaki May 11, 2022, 10:00 am
iOS

How to use Mic Modes in VOIP and FaceTime Calls

This guide will go over the steps you need to follow to activate one of the available Mic Mode settings on Apple Devices to begin using the feature and improve your calling experience.

By Aryan Suren May 10, 2022, 10:00 am
Phones

This iPhone 14 feature might urge users to upgrade

Until now, it appeared that iPhone 14 would only be a minor upgrade over the iPhone 13 series. However, a new leak suggests that the iPhone 14 will come with one feature that might urge users to upgrade.

By Sanuj Bhatia May 9, 2022, 5:00 am