HTC Vive launch scheduled for April as dev pool opens up
Will the Vive revive HTC’s financial fortunes and keep the company on a sustainable financial path? After all, it used to be all about those smartphones, but it’s been apparent with this year’s spring flagship and its declining status that it needs a change — made big and made soon. HTC’s chips, together with Valve’s, are on this VR headset.
We’ve been biting our tails for an ETA on a product for sale. It turns out that there’s still relationship catering to do with more developers in “gaming, entertainment, medical, education and retail.”
A developer conference will take place on December 18. Following that, HTC will prepare 7,000 second-generation developer kits that will be distributed through the following events (and possibly others):
- Consumer Electronics Expo – Las Vegas – January 4-7
- The Sundance Film Festival – Park City, Utah – January 21-31
- Mobile World Congress – Barcelona – February 22-25
- South By Southwest – Austin – March 7-20
- Game Developers Conference – San Francisco – March 14-18
This all leads up to a commercial launch sometime in April. And that’s all HTC wrote.