Apple is trying to wash its hands of future liability in the investigation into Patrick Kelley, the man who killed 26 people at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before killing himself.

FBI special agent Christopher Combs held a press conference on Tuesday, two days after the mass shooting, and said that it has not gotten past the security system on Kelley’s phone. Later reporting from The Washington Post reported that it was an iPhone.

Apple has come out to the media to say that it had attempted to contact the FBI after the press conference to assist in the investigation. The full statement was relayed through BuzzFeed‘s John Paczkowski:

Paczkowski has made the point that if the iPhone had Touch ID authentication, then Apple notified the FBI after the point where the passcode became required for entry into the device.

There’s now concern that another legal battle over Apple’s role in helping the FBI decrypt data may come. Last year, Apple sued the FBI after the agency requisitioned a backdoor tool for its encryption to get into the iPhone of a mass shooter in San Bernardino, California. The Department of Justice ended up buying an entry tool from a gray-hat software firm.

You May Also Like
Huawei Mate 30 Pro review

Huawei Mate 30 Pro review: the best phone you can’t get, and that’s OK

In our Huawei Mate 30 Pro review we’re trying to answer the question of whether the phone can survive without Google support, and should you buy it?

Companies could soon get licenses to sell to Huawei

Good news for Huawei: In a recent Bloomberg interview, Commerce Secretary W. Ross said he was optimistic about reaching a “Phase One” China deal this month.

The upcoming Moto Razr has been spotted in the wild, with a huge chin

It seems that the new Moto Razr is already being caught in the wild, with a huge chin, and there’s a picture to prove it