Video Sample: 720p Video Recording Nexus One Hack
The thing I like most about Android is the developer community. Together they do some really amazing things! Take, for example, the recent efforts of charansingh who has unlocked 720p video recording to the Nexus One.
Here’s a quick video I shot this morning. I recorded the video and uploaded it directly to YouTube, no intermediate video processing went into it, so it should show you what that hardware itself is capable of.
Here’s charansingh‘s video:
Unfortunately, you can’t just apply the hack and get 720p video recording on your stock Nexus One, this gets back to my earlier comment about the collaborative efforts of community developers. This hack sits on top of the latest test version of CyanogenMod ROM (CM5.0.8test3-N1) and builds upon the work of Cyanogen, maxisma, Wysie_Soh, barakinflorida, and coolcho3k.
The hack is still a work in progress. charansingh says better audio and an increased FPS rate are being worked on.
Standard disclaimers about not being responsible for damaging your phone or rendering it unusable apply.
How to install the 720p video hack
If you would like to get 720p recording on your nexus one you’ll need to root your phone, apply the radio from Froyo (see below for instructions on how to flash the radio using fastboot), flash the CM5.0.8-N1-test3 ROM from Recovery, then flash the 720p video update from Recovery.
How to flash a new radio image using fastboot
The following instructions assume you have downloaded and installed the Android SDK and fastboot utility (if you haven’t, instructions to do so can be found here).
The easiest way to flash a new radio image is with fastboot. To do this…
1. Reboot your phone while holding the volume-down button.
2. At the boot menu use the volume-down button to select fastboot, then press the power button to select it.
3. Attach your Nexus One to your computer via USB.
4. Download and copy the Froyo radio image to the same folder that you have installed fastboot.
5. Open a command prompt (DOS prompt) with administrative privileges and navigate to the folder where you installed fastboot.
6. Type the following: fastboot flash radio radio-32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2.img then press enter.
7. Wait for the process to complete, then reboot your phone.
How to flash CyanogenMod and the 720p Video Hack from Recovery
1. Copy the CyanogenMod ROM and 720p Video Hack .zip files to the root of your sdcard.
2. Reboot your phone while holding the volume-down button.
3. At the boot menu use the volume-down button to select recovery, then press the power button to select it and wait for the phone to boot into Recovery mode.
4. Select “Flash zip from sdcard”.
5. Select the CyanogenMod ROM and press the scroll button.
6. Wait for the update to complete and return you to the “Choose update ZIP file” menu.
7. Select the 720p update and press the scroll button.
8. Wait for the update to complete and return you to the “Choose update ZIP file” menu.
9. Press the down-volume button to return you to the “Android system recovery” menu.
10. Select “Reboot system now” and press the scroll button.
11. Wait for the phone to reboot.
Once all that is done, launch the camera app, switch to video mode, and you should now see a 720p option. Enjoy!