If you’re one of the people who has gotten the Windows Phone 7 update notification from yesterday and has unfortunately had the update hang on step 6, below is Microsoft’s official work-around for getting your device back into working order. Click here for the full thread where users are reporting the hanging problem with the Samsung Windows Phones on Microsoft’s Answers website. The thread about Samsung phones becoming “bricked” is here
In the event that a customer is encountering issues during the backup where there device/backup creation is hung up (step 6/7) the remediation is to power cycle the device:
1. If backup process is in apparently prolonged state (exceeding the general 30-40 min) with no movement of progress (including stuck at 99/100%)
2. Disconnect the device from the PC
3. Pull the battery
4. Replace battery and power on
5. Device should reboot into the OSKernal
6. We would recommend at this time, not to retry the update, as subsequent attempts will fail similarly. While we continue to investigate the issue, we would ask that you not attempt the update until your device alerts you of another update opportunity, in approximately 3 days’ time.
7. Last resort option if battery pull reset does not work, instruct the user to consult their product documentation on Hard Resting the device to factory default.