By Stephen Schenck | March 28, 2011 4:21 PM
Sick of waiting for NoDo? Even if you’ve got an unlocked, unbranded WP7 phone, you still may not have received the latest software just yet. With a little bit of configuration magic, you may be able to force an update, though this technique is far from 100% successful.
To start off, you’ll need one of those unlocked, unbranded WP7 models, along with a special phonebook (.PBK) file for a Hungarian server, letting your WP7 handset appear as if it’s configured for use in Eastern Europe. The steps that follow are all about managing your data connectivity. With the right timing, and a little luck, you may be able to coax your phone into retrieving the NoDo update.
If things just aren’t going your way, there’s a chance your phone just may not work with this technique. Supposedly neither the Surround nor Mozart have successfully updated via this method. If you’re up for giving it a try, follow the steps below:
● Download usaip.eu/en/USAIP.pbk open it and connect to EUROIP PPTP Hungary with USERNAME: demo PASSWORD: demo
● Connect your phone to the PC
● Disable WLAN in your phone but be sure to have FLIGHT MODE off
● Start Zune and keep it running all the time
● Switch to your carrier settings on the phone
● Manually search for an update within Zune
● After a few seconds (about 10-15 seconds for me) disable data transfer on the already opened settings tab on your phone –> The update shows up!