The Fast Fingers contest is over and we need your help to determine the victor. The winner of the contest will win a free phone of his or her choice. The top three fastest entries came within just one second of each other at 12, 11, and 10 seconds (all of which smashes my attempt at 24 seconds), and so we need your help picking a winner. Obviously, we want the winning entry to truly represent the fastest and most skilled typer that entered the contest, so we’re trying to exclude those that might have used the autocorrect function a bit too much in their favor.
Note: Poll has been reset as of 4:45PM EST because the videos weren’t properly labeled. Please vote again. Sorry about the mix up!
Number 1… 12 seconds
Number 2… 11 seconds
Number 3… 10 seconds
Original contest post…
Do you have the fastest fingers when it comes to typing on your smartphone? Now is your chance to prove it, and if you win, we’ll send you a new smartphone of your choice! This contest requires you to film a video and drop it as a video response on this video page. The video must show you typing a certain phrase. Try to be as accurate as possible, because for each word mispelled, one point is added to your score. More instructions, plus a demo entry, are below.
1. Film a video response
2. Make sure there is a stopwatch visible while recording. You can use a kitchen timer, a watch, or another phone. Hint: start the watch, let it go up 5-10 seconds, then begin. Please tell the camera at how many seconds you will begin.
3. Type this phrase into a blank email:
This is my entry for the pocketnow fast fingers contest. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. I can type faster than you!
4. Glance at the stopwatch when you finish, and subtract that time from when you started. Check for errors, and for each mispelled word, add one second onto your score. State your score at the end of the video, and also put your score in the description.
– Contest ends January 15, 2011, at 12pm Eastern.
– You may not use an external keyboard. Only use the hardware keyboard on your phone, or a software keyboard such as the one included on your device, Swype, or any other third-party keyboard. No voice recognition software.
– You may not use the Paste function or any other shortcut to get words on the screen faster. You must type each and every word.
– This contest is open to anyone in the world.
– Pocketnow staff reserve the right to disqualify any entry if cheating is suspected, or if any of these rules are violated.
– The winner of the contest, determined by 18 January, 2011, will be messaged on YouTube for communication regarding the free phone.
– Value of free phone cannot exceed $700 USD.