By Joe Levi | December 1, 2011 2:54 PM
Being able to remotely disable your smartphone is a pretty cool feature, but the Mission Impossible self-destruct is so much more dramatic — unless it’s your phone, in your pocket.
That’s not what happened here. According to a report, one unfortunate man came somewhat close to it. The story goes that when he felt a burning sensation in his pocket and a friend saw smoke, he pulled out the phone and removed the battery cover, only to see melted terminals and plastic.
Apparently no one was hurt, but we doubt the phone will send many more texts or emails in the near future.
While we’re familiar with battery problems in laptops, having these types of melt-downs in smartphones is relatively rare.