By Stephen Schenck | January 6, 2011 5:38 PM
LG President and CEO Dr. Jong-seok Park stepped onto the stage at Verizon’s 4G LTE press event this afternoon to show off the company’s LG Revolution Android phone.
We caught a look at the Revolution earlier today, which sports a 4.3-inch screen and will ship running Android 2.2. With all the super-slim phones coming out of the woodwork, we noticed that LG’s is looking a bit fat by comparison. Could be that there’s a big battery under the hood that’s providing the juice for the LTE modem, but we’ll need to see more complete specifications to know for sure.
From what LG and Verizon have revealed, we know that the Revolution will be able to share its 4G connection with up to eight other devices over WiFi. Unfortunately, Verizon wasn’t ready to disclose the details of the LTE data plans fueling that function.
If video calls are to be the killer app for 4G, the Revolution is ready to go, with a front-facing camera and the needed software.
Based on Verizon’s statements regarding the LTE smartphone roll-out, you can expect the LG Revolution to be available in March at the earliest, and certainly here by mid-year.
Verizon has now published additional details on the Revolution’s capabilities.
* 4G LTE customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage areas
* 4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen
* Wi-Fi capable
* Mobile Hotspot capability share 4G connection with up to 8 Wi-Fi devices
* DLNA, HDMI and DIVX capable
* Video telephony support with front-facing camera
* Android 2.2 technology for Google Mobile Services, including Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk, Google Voice and access to Android Market
* Virtual QWERTY keyboard
* Bluetooth® 3.0 capabilities with support for Bluetooth Profiles Supported: Headset, Hands-Free, Dial-Up Networking, Object Push, Advanced Audio Distribution (stereo), Audio/Video Remote Control, Phone Book Access, and File Transfer
* 16GB internal memory with microSD card slot with expandable memory up to 32GB
* Proximity sensor instantly locks touchscreen while talking on the phone
* Full suite of messaging options Text, picture, video and voice messaging; corporate and personal e-mail accounts supported
* 5.0-megapixel autofocus camera with flash and camcorder that includes:
o Five different camera resolutions and three different video resolutions
o Macro Mode for detailed, up-close pictures
o Image editor with zoom, rotate, resize, crop, added frames and stamps
o Customize brightness, white balance, shutter sounds, color effects and use self-timer
o Optimize video quality with normal, fine or super camcorder settings