As with all our articles that cover modding, hacking, and/or rooting, your phone you do so at your own risk. Ahead there be dragons.
1. If you don’t already have it, download the Android SDK and install it.
3. Download this update.zip file.
4. Plug your Captivate into your computer via USB.
5. Pull down your notifications bar and click on “USB connected: Select to copy files to/from your computer.”
6. Tap “Mount”
7. Your desktop computer phone may install the new USB device using the drivers you downloaded and installed previously. It should then show you some auto-play options. Click “Open folder to view files.”
8. Drag update.zip into the Captivate USB drive and wait for the file to copy successfully.
9. Turn off your Captivate.
10. Hold down the Volume-Up/Down rocker and press the power button. Your phone should boot into recovery mode.
11. When booted into recovery mode, press the volume-down button to scroll down to “Reinstall packages”.
12. Press the power button to select that option
13. Follow the on-screen instructions, and you should be all done!
Enjoy the freedom that comes with Root access!
(Source and file hosting: Briefmobile)