By Joe Levi | November 15, 2012 1:46 PM
Some time ago we ran a series called “Launcher Wars” where Brandon Miniman and I showed off various third-party Android launchers. Although new launchers continue to be released, we keep going back to the classics. Today we’re going to look at the latest version of ADWLauncher EX which has been recently updated and includes many cool new features!
The first item to note is that ADWLauncher EX will run on Android 1.6 Donut through Android 4.2 “another flavor of Jelly Bean”, and brings many of the features of the newer operating systems to the (much) older versions. ADWLauncher EX is very customizable, supports skinning and themes, and lets you configure your homescreens and app drawer to look exactly the way you want.
If you’ve previously purchased ADWLauncher EX you should be able to download the new version right away without spending an extra penny. If you haven’t, simply grab the free version and try it out — it’s fully functional and isn’t going to nag you to upgrade, it just doesn’t include some of the “extra” cool goodies that are included in the EX version.
I love what I see, and I like even more that you can get Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich-like features on phones running Android 1.6 Donut — and everything in between.
What’s included in the new version? Here’s what the developer has to say:
- Configure your applications in unlimited groups and hide unwanted apps.
- Fast setup screen with fast access to add items or configure everything.
- Gestures for fast operation (swipe up/down, 2-fingers swipe up/down, pinch in/out, etc)
- Configurable Actionbar, similar to android 3.x+ tablet interface.
- Screens editor to add,remove, swap and resize your desktop screens.
- Configurable visual desktop indicators.
- Easy folder tweaking and management, content previews, arrangement, colors, etc.
- New AppWidget picker for devices running Android 4.1 and newer.
- Icons editor to create your own customized shortcuts or edit existing ones
- AppWidget resizing
- AppWidget backup/restore (only for android 4.1 and newer)
- Customizable applications dock with support for unlimited shortcuts with paginated scroll.
- Lots of settings to play with: texts, colours, animations, sizes… you should dig in!