Don’t Like Circles? Make Your Ice Cream Sandwich Folders Square!
One of the most user-friendly elements of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich are its folders. Dropping an app atop another one on a home screen instantly creates a folder that you can name and use to organize your applications however you’d like. I’ve got seven folders on one screen alone!
Unfortunately, other than giving your folder a name, you can’t customize it — and you’d better like circles. One developer didn’t like circles (apparently he’s more partial to squares) and set about fixing those round folders into something a little more boxy.
As with most of the tweaks we’ve shared with you, this will involve unlocking and rooting your phone, and it must be running ICS. If that sounds like you, and you’re more into squares than circles, and you’ve already got the Android SDK installed, here’s what you need to do:
1) Download Launcher2.apk to the root of your C: drive
2) Open a command prompt with administrative rights
3) Type adb pull /system/app/Launcher2.apk C: (enter)
4) Type adb remount (enter)
5) Type adb shell stop (enter)
6) Type adb push C:Launcher2.apk /system/app (enter)
7) Type adb shell start (enter)
Start making some folders and enjoy your squares!