Leaked T-Mobile G2 Gingerbread Build
I use the T-Mobile G2 as my daily driver, and absolutely love it! Unfortunately, it’s been stuck on an “old” version of Android. This doesn’t matter to me since I’ve been running CyanogenMod on my smartphone since the early nightlies began rolling out for it.
Some of my friends don’t want to “risk” going to a custom ROM and are waiting patiently for an “official” release to bring Gingerbread to their phones. That hasn’t come (yet), but we have seen a few leaked Gingerbread ROMs in the past. This one, however, looks like it could be the real deal.
Unfortunately, it’s not all butterflies and unicorns with the upgrade. Reportedly you’ll loose some functionality that you may not be willing to live without:
– No 3-button reset functionality
– Long pressing the camera buttom makes the phone vibrate
– You will no longer be able to root your phone (until they figure out a new way to do it)
– You cannot downgrade to 2.2
The pros, however, are impressive:
– Android 2.3.x
– Better cellular radio
– Better audio codecs
– Faster boot up
– Faster overall response
– Better GUI
– Bug fixes for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
If you want to take the leap (which you do at your own risk):
0. Backup anything that you don’t want to lose
1. Download this file to the root of your sdcard
2. Turn of your phone
3. Hold down the power button and the volume button together (this will bring you to the bootloader where it will automatically search for and detect the PC10IMG.ZIP file, which could take some time — patience is a virtue)
4. Once the file has been found, press the volume-up button to “restore” your device (which could take up to 10 minutes)
5. Once complete, press the power button to reboot
6. Enjoy your Gingerbread!