Windows Marketplace: New Apps Are Brewing for Windows Mobile
Microsoft had just selected some finalists for its Mobile Incubation Week, choosing some developers to work with to bring new apps to fruition to prepare for the launch of Windows Marketplace in conjunction with Windows Mobile 6.5. Some of the new applications include social networking applications, a real time voice translator for civilian and military use, peer-to-peer sharing, and GPS and location-based information applications.
For the uninitiated, Windows Marketplace is Redmond’s version of the App Store on the iPhone. Users can download, try out, or return applications all on their mobile device through Windows Marketplace.
Here are some of the applications, as announced by Microsoft’s Startup Zone:
o Networks in Motion Plans to build a mobile app that offers turn-by-turn directions and hyper-local search
– DJ Nitrogen building an application to facilitate the legal sharing of user-generated content, such as ringtones and music mash-ups
– VoiceMuffler App will enable real-time, two-way speech-to-speech translation designed for foreign military personnel and civilian travelers
– Motolingo Telematics solution that will monitor car diagnostics and report mobile phone behavior in the car
– VisTracks Plans to build an enterprise app for real-time product location and tracking company shipments
– BrightKite Extending their current location-based social networking tool to Windows Mobile
Stay tuned to this blog for further information about the week’s event. We’ll also be posting updates on Twitter and our Windows Mobile blog below. Good luck to all the participants!